LinkedIn Twitter RSS Feed
Credit: Nikki Natrix

Thing 3: Branding!


[Credit: Wikimedia Commons, Nevins Memorial Library]

Thing 3 is all about branding, which is something that I definitely need to work on. This has become clear as I peruse the other cpd23 and professional blogs out there who have done a fantastic job of communicating their professional and personal interests and strengths.


As I was looking at my own blog to see what was lacking, I decided to go back to basics and look at the key elements that appeared in other blogs. They were:


  • *Consistency
  • *Simplicity
  • *Accessibility



Consistency

The first point refers not only to timely posting (which I've already fallen behind on), but also an overarching theme that unites your output. This includes everything from writing style to format, and it comes together to present a coherent online 'personality.' This doesn't mean that you can't have variety in your posts -- for example, Deanne's Curb Service covers everything from our professional image (think spectacles and hair buns) to electronic health records (a particular interest of mine as a health sciences librarian), but her posts all share the same core focuses: innovation, education, and access.


It seems that keeping true to your primary interests is a good strategy for maintaining consistency -- there's nothing wrong with a few 'look at this cool thing!' posts, but you're probably going to write more in-depth about the topics that really start your engine.


Simplicity

This point struck me as I looked at the designs featured on other blogs and decided what appealed most to me: clean, simple layouts that showcase your online personality and professional philosophy. This is more than 'just' an aesthetic issue; the right layout can go a long way towards making your posts attractive and accessible (leading into my third point…)


Accessibility

The best blogs I've seen have been visually appealing and easy to navigate, which encourages me not only to read what they've written but also engage with them personally. I also enjoy seeing a listing of other blogs that they're interested in -- so that I get not only a great blog to follow but also a network of other professionals who share my interests. I think this 'portal' function helps your blog to act as a platform for exchange, instead of the one-way 'broadcast' model of previous media.


So far, I'm not doing so well on the 'branding' front, but these points have at least given me a place to start. In terms of simplicity, I've changed my blog theme to something that looks 'cleaner' and more open. I'm planning to rebuild my bloglist, since the last redesign wiped out my widgets. And I'm going to work on how best to convey my key interests: global exchange, collaborative learning, and practical ways to make library services as ubiquitous as the tech platforms we use everyday.


Please let me know your thoughts: what is your approach to branding? What do you see as keys to success? What have you found most challenging about the process?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So far, I'm not doing so well on the 'branding' front"

I wouldn't say that. I think the first step in deciding your online style is to see what you like about what others are doing, just as in working on our fashion style we look at what's popular and at what we like in other people's style. Then you decide what works for you, throw away the rest and boom -- you've got style (personality, branding).

The most challenging thing for me was finally, after 20 years of living in one country while thinking of myself as still a member of another country's culture, giving up on trying to decide and accepting that I'll always be jumping between the two. It was a decision whose repercussions in my offline life I'm going to process for a long while yet.

Cobalt said...

Thanks for sharing! I like your fashion metaphor for online branding (I can see it now: "Does this blog make me look fat?"). ;)

Also, I'm fascinated to hear about your struggles with your personal cultural 'place' - I lived overseas during my childhood, so I've experienced a bit of that in-between, but not to the extent that you have. It sounds like a very difficult balance, but hopefully it has some rewards!

Post a Comment