LinkedIn Twitter RSS Feed
Credit: Nikki Natrix

Thing 6: Online Social Networks


I liked this Thing activity as it reinforced what I already suspected about LinkedIn and Facebook: people use Facebook still primarily as a social/personal tool, while LinkedIn is more viewed as a professional/networking tool.

This was particularly interesting to me because I'm currently working on the early stages of a research project about online communities and health, examining how patients and health professionals interact with tools like Facebook and LinkedIn. And of course, there's Google+ to consider, designed to accommodate our natural instincts to organize (read: separate) our social groups according to purpose.

I've just gotten an invitation to Google+, so it looks like I'll be diving in there as well. We'll see how well it reconciles our desire to connect with our desire for privacy/control online.

In terms of other online networks, I'd never heard of LISNPN, LAT, or CILIP before (the last one, I imagine, because of the UK-based focus). I've joined LISNPN, and I'm intrigued by the bulletin board concept, as well as the downloadable resources.

More updates as I get set up further!

0 comments:

Post a Comment