LinkedIn Twitter RSS Feed
Credit: Nikki Natrix

Thing 4 Update: Pushnote


When I heard that this tool was endorsed by Stephen Fry (who openly disclosed that he has shares in this venture), I was inclined to be an instant fan. Because, after all, it's Stephen Fry.

I agree that the concept is intriguing as a method of ensuring transparency and adding a level of interactivity to websites -- the websites themselves have no control over who gets to comment, and this is another avenue for learning about relevant and interesting sites by following your friends' interests.

Having signed up and installed the application, however, I found the experience lacking. It may have been that I haven't reached the critical mass of friends, or I'm not looking at the 'right' sites, but I wasn't finding a lot of original, engaging discussion out there.

I do think this could be a great tool within established communities (hence the interlinking with Twitter), and therefore could also be an interesting classroom tool. Just as one of the professors I know uses Diigo to encourage students to critique and discuss certain web sources, Pushnote could be another avenue for critical discussion -- particularly on websites that don't invite this kind of engagement already through comments, etc.

Have you had a different Pushnote experience? Have you seen it employed professionally or in the classroom? Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment