LinkedIn Twitter RSS Feed
Credit: Nikki Natrix

Thing 10: Trained? Experienced? Qualified? (All Three?)




I was extremely interested to read the post on CPD23 about the UK's routes into librarianship, particularly in terms of the 'traineeship' component. I like the emphasis on practical experience, which I think is lacking in many US programs -- it doesn't seem to be 'built in' in the same way.

At my school, the archives concentration had a required internship, but the general librarianship track was left to fend for itself when it came to on-the-job experience. Before we'd even graduated, my classmates and I were facing the vicious Library Experience Cycle (don't have any = can't get any = don't have any).

While I was lucky enough to find a paid position, many of my friends went for internships that were already saturated with -- you guessed it -- library school students.

I think there is a growing awareness that this is not a viable educational model, as it fails to produce graduates who are actually versed in the 'real' operations of librarianship (it seems that not many employers are interested in theoretical expertise; how odd!). I do remember that a few faculty members were championing the establishment of a required internship for all library 'tracks,' but I haven't heard about progress on that front.

Of course, now that I have my MLIS, I'm facing yet another Experience hurdle. I have diverse library experience, and I'm fresh out of a dynamic program...but I'm also competing with professionals equipped with 20 years' experience or more. I'm staying flexible when it comes to location -- I would move anywhere right now, and I can afford to -- which is an important point as the 'local' market is already packed with recent MLIS grads.

I've heard and read more than enough about how library schools in the US are 'failing' new graduates, and it was a rude shock to enter this job market -- but, I admit, I have also been fairly naive about the whole process.

What I'm working on now -- and really struggling with -- is how to make connections professionally. I have been blessed with an amazing mentor (next post!), and I've gotten involved in some very interesting projects, but...it sometimes feels like there's a covert group of librarians hiding just around the corner, whisking out of sight when I pass by.

One resolution I will take from this experience: When I get a full professional position, I will make myself a resource to any 'newbie' librarian out there looking for help. Because it can be dark and lonely here sometimes, and I want to help make my profession a brighter place for everyone -- especially the newcomers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment