LinkedIn Twitter RSS Feed
Credit: Nikki Natrix

A Weekend of Libraries!


This weekend included a visit to the Boston Athenaeum, a beautiful private library in the heart of the city -- and the Brookline main public library, which, as my GSLIS friend put it, "shows what you get when a library has money." Both were centers of artistic and literary wealth and pretty inspiring to boot...one could almost forget about all of those pesky budget cuts going on.

Alas, the BA didn't allow photographs inside, so I shall have to rely on others' visuals for interiors:








The first floor was open to visitors, and included an art gallery and several reading areas, complete with plush armchairs and glimmering full-length windows. I am not artistically informed, so I couldn't tell you much about the quality of the collection (the printed guide certainly made it seem impressive). I was amused to note two sculptures in particular; one marble bust of Lafayette and one ceramic statuette of a doll-like child with a ballooning skirt and coiffed hair wore perfectly matching supercilious expressions.

I fell in love with the children's room the most. Not only did they have an aquarium, but the room was carefully arranged with polished wood shelving, cradling the space into a semi-circle that opens out to floor-to-ceiling windows with a view of rich greenery outside.

Oh, and an excellent view of the graveyard. You know, the Granary -- the historical cemetery where tourists can be seen milling about or hunting down particular Revolutionary heroes. It was a bit of a jolt to see a stuffed animal dragon upon a throne-like chair framed against the backdrop of tilting gravestones -- but I don't think the kids are overly bothered. Plus, they've got these sweet window seats in the nooks each side of the shelves, and all I could think was, if I were a kid, I would totally claim that spot every time.

I chatted with the children's librarian a bit, and she told me about their storytime schedule and reading groups; despite being a private institution (or maybe because of it), they have a robust series of events and programs for both adult members and their kids.

After mourning my lack of funds for a membership, I mosied on down to Chinatown for a haircut. Like you do.

The next morning started off with an early-morning jaunt to Mul's Diner (because I am a secret diner fiend). The waitresses were kindly and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly; while my french toast came out more on the 'charcoal' side of cooked, I was liberally supplied with coffee and therefore content.

The rest of the day included a relaxed stroll to the Brookline branch, in which I not only discovered multiple copies of desired works in order, but also plenty of light, airy study spaces with outlets and chairs that did not double as torture devices. And they were having a book sale! BPL, we may have to break up. Like, now.





Overall, a satisfying adventure! Brookline has left me with a permanently crippled spine from all of the books I have been toting around, but I can forgive them. I prescribe bed rest! And reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment